Sunday, November 16, 2008

Bits and Pieces...




These are just a couple of recent pics I sketched in pencil, then scanned and coloured up in Photoshop. Both of these young ladies are subjects to be drawn on the National Caricaturist Network forums. I'm not much of a digital painter, I'm afraid, but I do like to add some quick colour to my drawings with the Photoshop program. I was also trying out one of the texture brushes on the backgrounds of these two caricatures. As I am also currently teaching about diversity in face and body design for animated characters, I offer up these sketches as two examples of attractive young women with extremely different features. There is such a wealth of variety to be found when you study what real people actually look like, so there is really no excuse for sticking to the same time-worn template whenever you are trying to come up with a new character design. By taking an honest look at people, you may then observe and analyze the differences in head/face shapes, as well as the relative placement, size and shape of all the individual features.

Something else I wanted to make note of at this time is something that John Kricfalusi had posted recently on his blog, "All Kinds of Stuff". He has written about the cartooning tips in the Famous Artists Cartoon Course which, though it dates back to the 50s, is still as relevant today insofar as showing practical drawing principles. I would particularly like to direct my Sheridan Animation students to these notes, as some of them relate very closely to many of the things I have been specifically talking about in my Character Design course in recent weeks. Here is the direct link to the original source of these pages.

4 comments:

SteveLambe said...

Nicely done, Pete. The perfect recipe of cartoon and caricature.

charles Da Costa said...

i love!!! great jobs! congratulations!!

Sean Wickett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sean Wickett said...

hi pete nice photoshop work for guy who professes digital ignorance! the painting blows me away! i really have to get on this type of work. very, very nice.

as for the famous artist course material: it should be on every artist's source book material list!

forget every how-to-draw book published in the last 30 years...they all pale in comparison to the granddaddy of how to.