Monday, October 5, 2009

Some More Mickey Mouse Magazine Pages.


Once in a while I got to do some illustrations of the characters from the Disney feature films, as some issues would tie in to one that was perhaps being released on VHS at the time. I enjoyed doing the spot paintings above of the Lady and the Tramp characters, although there was something that I took exception to and didn't hesitate to make my argument known. You'll note that in the second column it refers to "Scamp's brother and sisters", which, as every Disney fan knows, is just plain wrong! Scamp had three sisters but no brothers, so I insisted on depicting them exactly as they appeared in the film. While the editors allowed that, they resisted changing the text in the story to match, as I think they wanted to indulge in some political correctness to be more "inclusive" of their boy readers. By the way, the writer of the piece was noted Disney historian and author, Jim Fanning, and he wasn't to blame either. I talked with Jim about it afterward and he said he was just as uncomfortable writing it like that too!

The following set of four illustrations featuring the Pinocchio characters were a lot of fun to do, although the concept of the pages really frustrated me. The round holes were meant to be cut out so the kids could poke their fingers through and do finger puppets. While it may have worked okay on Pinoke's nose and Figaro's tail, I'm afraid that the Blue Fairy and Jiminy Cricket didn't fare so well. With or without the kid's fingers acting as arms and legs, these two characters were doomed to looking like war amputees! Still, the job was fun to paint, as I was trying to capture that watercolour look of the backgrounds from Pinocchio. I just wish I could have included all those missing appendages...




7 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like Jiminy's reminiscing on 'Nam.

Thad said...

Oh wow, the "blue fairy needs your two fingers..." No comment. Slick work as usual.

Eric Noble said...

I love these. You really captured that warmth in the color palette of Pinocchio. There are FANTASTIC! I love your Jiminy Cricket.

Stephanie said...

it is kind of horrifying how they are missing limbs...

David R said...

Do you have any good resources for learning to use gouache? I've started working with it and I'm getting the feel of it, but I feel like a little help would be good. I can't find anything that deal particularly with illustrating children's books in this particular style which you have mastered. How did you pick it up?

Thanks

Geneva said...

Woops, I meant to post my request on this post, not the one from earlier this year! My bad.

I'm still really loving your painting and would love to hear more about it.

Thank you!
Geneva

Gaya said...

These are awesome Pete! Delisious:)!, well the holes seem useless, would i enjoy sticking fingers through drawings and wiggling them...not shure.