Monday, May 17, 2010

Life Drawing: Heather


This is Heather, one of the life models we've drawn from often over the last few years at Visual Arts Brampton. I've posted a number of my sketches of her previously on this blog. Heather is a trained dancer who brings a lot of that dancing sensibility to her poses, particularly in the quick gestures. Her body type is soft and curvy, lending a rhythmic flow to her gestures, and always with a strong line of action.




I've never been that proficient with longer studies, I'm afraid. Part of this I attribute to not feeling completely in control when using a stick of conté. I often marvel at the sketches pinned up in the display cases at Sheridan, as the Animation students are far better versed on showing solid form through use of conté than I am. Anyway, here are some studies that I am reasonably happy with:




As a lifelong cartoonist, I'm far more comfortable with a pencil in hand, depicting form through outline, varying the line weight with pressure and angle. I also find that I'm happier when I give in to my cartoon sensibilities and caricature the model, as I can capture more inner life and personality that way. Here are some examples of the way I prefer to depict Heather:






Just a reminder to all of my readers who live in the vicinity of Brampton, Ontario, that the open life drawing sessions at Visual Arts Brampton are held every Tuesday evening from 7pm to 9:30pm. Please click on the link listed in the sidebar for more information.

8 comments:

Brett W. McCoy said...

Your conte studies are good, but you are definitely more in your element with the pencil and your own style... those are fantastic and have so much personality! You could easily fall in love with that girl....

michaelamos said...

great drawings! Really like the first 3 roughs - have a lot of life and movement in them.

Eric Scales said...

These are all great. I don't get it- are the conte ones considered more "legit" than the others? As near as I can tell, the main difference with the more caricatured ones is just the face. They're just as solid and beautiful (moreso perhaps).

I struggled through just about every lifedrawing session I ever took trying to be so literal in my interpretation. I know it's important to be able to capture what's in front of you. It's only recently that I am discovering other people's life drawings that are just a tad on the caricature side of the line, and in my opinion much stronger for it.

Jamie said...

Pete, these are looking great. Especially the first one. Would love check out the Brampton sessions and learn from your sketches. Until then, hope you're having a great summer!

Juan Correa said...

i really like the first one.. it has looks like heather and it is stylized at the same time.. id like to try this some time

Bãpp said...

wonderful job Pete
jan :)

Geneva said...

I love your cartoony life drawings. These are beautiful!

Jake the Evil Hare said...

Love your work. Dynamic... liked the caricature ones better ;)