Monday, August 11, 2014

RIP Robin Williams


I just got home to hear the tragic news of the death of Robin Williams from an apparent suicide. For all of his outward wild humour, he must have been a tortured soul. His death only a couple weeks after the death of Jim Garner marks a very strange coincidence for me, as I had met both of these actors while on my vacation to Los Angeles in 1982. I'd written about my visit to the set of Mork and Mindy on the Paramount lot on this earlier blog post.

As I mentioned in that post, I noticed that Robin Williams could turn it on and off so suddenly, as he was wild on the set while rehearsing, yet was very quiet and reserved backstage in the break room. Sadly, it does not surprise me to now find out that he was given to severe bouts of depression. I really don't know what else to say, as this news is a real shocker. I hope the poor man has found inner peace now.

1 comment:

DeansPalley said...

I was watching CBS news and the very last thing mentioned about 20 seconds before the end of the news cast it was mentioned as a breaking story that he had died. I thought that I had misheard the name. Completely shocked me. And I've heard other everyday folk and stars say the same thing. Shocked!! Loved him tv & movies. Always remember he was on the short live Laugh-In revival. Frank Sinatra was a guest or guest host that week. Running gag throughout the show was Robin walking up to Sinatra as if he had just met him. In one he walked up to Sinatra,looked him up and down and said "Frank Sinatra.....well I could just S**t"!!(the last word being bleeped of course) Sinatra was in hysterics. A little piece of schtick that has stuck with me since 1977. He will be missed.!!