Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Amir Avni



This morning's Globe and Mail held a pleasant surprise for me in the form of this feature article in the Life section on one of my former Sheridan Animation students, Amir Avni. Amir is currently in his 4th and final year at Sheridan - I had him in my 2nd Year Character Design class two years ago and he was always keen to improve his ability. Best of all, Amir LOVES CARTOONS! :)


In the Globe article, Amir tells of his early correspondence as a fan with his cartooning hero, John Kricfalusi, of Ren and Stimpy fame. I certainly can appreciate what John's letters of encouragement and drawing tips meant to young Amir, as I'd had a similar correspondence with my hero, caricaturist Al Hirschfeld, back when I was in my teens and early twenties. It's really wonderful when a renowned artist takes the time and effort to write back to an aspiring artist, especially when it includes some practical information on how to progress. Much kudos to John K for his generosity of spirit in encouraging Amir some years ago. And I continue to be amazed at just how much John puts into his own blog, John K. Stuff, in his goal of passing along good practical knowledge on solid cartooning skills, which sadly seem to be becoming a dying art in both animation and print.

3 comments:

Amir Avni said...

Hey Pete!

Thank you for the kind words of endorsement, and for featuring me here :)
Also, the Hirschfeld letters you mentioned are really great! He really loved your stuff and showed so much support of you.

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the article.
It's a very kind article, I'm honored to be featured in the Globe, and delighted that they have contacted John and I. There was just one point in the article that was misrepresented.
I did mention during the phone interview that some wonderful teachers at Sheridan, like yourself, stress the same drawing principles and teach hands on methodology. When I was asked about my many reasons to contact John k, one of them was that my art education in Israel at the time lacked methodology.
About 6 months after getting John's letter I attended a summer storyboarding class at Sheridan College, since I had a good impression of the college, I was motivated to come back and study full time.


All the best to you, buddy!
And thanks again for voicing my dad character! it adds so much depth to the film.
Amir

Amir Avni said...

Hey Pete,

Today Globe and Mail printed a retraction,
They have also fixed the online article, along with this:

"Editor's note: The original version of this story incorrectly stated that Mr. Avni's drawing classes in Israel and Sheridan College lacked methodology. This version has been corrected to state that this was true only of his drawing classes in Israel."

There's truth in the media!

Jack G. said...

Amir Avni is one talented young man.

Here's hoping he finds his dream gig and blesses the world with some wonderful cartoon art.