Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Municipal Elections



Well, the various municipal elections took place here in Ontario yesterday. Mississauga re-elected Hazel McCallion once again by a landslide, making her one of the longest serving mayors (32 years!) in Canada now at age 89. I like and admire "Hurricane Hazel" very much, but I must confess that I voted for another candidate, Peter Orphanos, as I feel that Hazel has had a great run but should let somebody else take the reins. Still, Hazel won again with 76% of the vote, so Mississaugans obviously love her. The illustration pictured above shows a caricature of "Hurricane Hazel" alongside the mayors of Waterloo and London, Ontario, that I did for a magazine cover a couple years ago.

Things are somewhat less rosy in Toronto today (in my opinion) after voters elected Rob Ford as their new mayor. Having observed this guy in news reports during the campaign, I must admit that I think he's going to be trouble for the city. Rob's style is confrontational and very much "in-your-face", as is evidenced in the following two clips showing him in his former role as Toronto Councillor. Still, he'll be a political cartoonist's dream, so it isn't all bad!



2 comments:

Jorge Garrido said...

Anne-Marie and my sister city of Waterloo's mayor!

I voted for Carl Zehr myself, but I think it was because I was hungry and wanted to go grocery shopping at the time.

Jack G. said...

For some reason or other my country (USA) never puts it's northern neighbor in the news and I'm not too far distance-wise from the border. Mexico shows up much more.

Do elections and politics get as ugly up north as they do in the US? I (along with most non-party citizens) here are very sickened and turned-off by what's going on this election season.


Only four more days to go, thank heavens.